Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The Results Are....

Ok, so I will try to do this without being too wordy or technical. A brief history of Mason first. Mason was a pretty average kid, but never did anything as a toddler until right when you would start to worry, then he would suprise us and do it! He was very bright as he could write his name at 2. Until we hit the speech part. As alot of you know that my background is in Early Childhood Education and so this was a huge red flag for me. He was over the age of 3 before he really started to talk and even then it took him a while to get coherent sentences. Even now sometimes he uses the wrong tenses. Anyway, we just thought speech delay, he'll grow out of it. As we entered kindergarten I started to worry because he was having trouble with sounds because of his speech. He was getting it slowly but surely. At the same time we were still trying to determine what hand was more prodominant. Which didnt work out until closer to first grade. I could go the list of details but I would bore you all. Anyway, in kindergarten I brought up dyslexia and the teacher said no that he was just a little slower and would catch on. Well after first grade and then going into second and getting diagnosed with ADD and getting glasses I started to worry as he fell further and further behind. As I consulted with his physician she said maybe hes dyslexic. So the thinking then began again!!

I did ALOT of research and found so much information and realized...wow...maybe I was actually right! To make this long story shorter, Mason had about 95% of all of the "symptoms" of dyslexia. I was floored! He has been tested for learning disability and they couldnt label him because he didnt fall low enough. Hes actually a very bright child he just has a hard time with reading and spelling. His memory is amazing, but he cant apply it afterwards, if that makes any sense. Soon after that the principal at his school contacted me and other parents and said that the Dyslexia Institute was offering free assesments to the school. I jumped on that!! Now mind you that this was just a quick assesement and they have to do further testing. But since I had done my research I was able to give them a little more information than the typical person could at that point. Mason fell borderline, but given the stuff I told her, and the way she felt and based on the testing he IS DYSLEXIC!!! He has what they think is a combination of the 2 types of dyslexia, Dyseidesia and Dysphonesia. Finally!!!! An answer and maybe a solution! Its such a weight lifted off our chest to know that we finally know.

The down fall...in order to get the "official" diagnosis, so that schools will recognize it and help him, we have to take him there and have him fully assessed, and heres the biggy...it cost $465!! Now I will do anything for my son, as all of us would. But thats alot of money to come up with. On top of the "therapy", basically tutoring, they do is very, very expensive. Mind you we're working on one income. SO we could use all your prayers on a couple of things! One, we are debating switching Mason from Faith to public school. Which is a huge decision mind you. But we feel financially it needs to be done and especially now given this new information. Two, that somehow, if this is Gods plan, that we will be able to afford this.

Ok so one more thing! I have always told Mason that God will bring him through this and that he will come out strong in the end and it will be used for Gods purposes. So for his birthday my aunt bought him Winklers (I cant remember his first name) books for children with dyslexia. Well, as you probably figure, Mason does not like to read because its so hard for him. So we take turns reading so that he feels like its fun and understands it. As we're reading he is cracking me up because hes stopping me every couple of sentences saying, "mom, you say that to me!" or "I do that!" It an amazing opportunity for me to teach him that he can overcome this struggle!!

Ok so if I dont stop now Ill keep adding things! So thanks for listening to my ramble.

2 comments:

becca said...

I am glad that you finally found someone who would listen to you. I know how hard of a time you had with that. Oh his first name is Henry.

On another note. I CANT wait for September. Declan here we come. Short roadtrip this time.

Kirsten said...

I am honestly sitting here choking back the tears. April, your passion as a mom shines through and I am so so excited to get to know you better. I never knew (and never believed it when others tried to tell me) just how much heart, passion, emotion, work, tears, frustration and LOVE go into being a mom. Stand strong. Please don't hesitate to call me anytime or shoot me an email (kirstensmith@elstonfamily.org). It sounds like we have A LOT to chat about-- one income, boys that are three, RENT (I haven't even had a chance to respond to your reply, but YES, I am thrilled to have a Rent junkie friend now too!!!)...ok, I have to go try to clean my kitchen while Parker sleeps. My love and prayers are with you all!